Dr. Sarkar is one of the most well-known Cardiac Surgeons of Kolkata, Senior Vice Chairman, Director and Head of Cardiac Surgery at Medica Superspecialty Hospital, Dr Sarkar practices coronary surgery as his pursuance of passion. He has the distinction of performing over 18,000 heart surgeries with a success rate of more than 98%. He is associated with the academic activities of IACTS and EACTS and is a passionate debater, orator and writer. Dr Sarkar is the President of the Calcutta Debating Circle (CDC), and chairs the largest live debate in India during Calcutta’s Festival of the Spoken Word’.
- Did is his schooling from St. Xavier’s School and has received citation for Academic excellence.
- National Scholar, Government of India.
- Graduated from Medical College, Calcutta with Gold Medal in Surgery and 12 other awards in surgery.
- Trained in Cardiac Surgery in Cardiothoracic Centre Liverpool, St Mary’s Hospital, UK.
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- Faculty of Imperial College London.
Awards & Achievements
- Established modern Cardiac and Coronary Surgery in Calcutta
- Pioneered and Refined Beating Heart Surgery, Valve Replacement and Repair, Complex Coronary Grafting and Surgery for Heart Failure
- Popularized Bloodless Surgery and Blood Conservation Surgery in India
- One of the largest experiences of coronary bypass in India and the world, with more than 18,000 surgeries with less than 1% complication rate
- One of the largest International experience – over 18,000 heart surgeries with more than 98% success rate
- Establishment of one of the largest Cardiac centres in India
Research and Publications
- ISMICS -2002
- Asian Society for Cardiac Surgery 2001
- British Society for Cardiac Surgery 1996
- Participation in Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- Perfusion 1996
- Innovations 1998, 2013
- Off-Pump CABG
- Without the support of Heart-Lung machine, More than 90% cases
- Bloodless Heart surgery
- Complex Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Total Arterial Bypass Grafting Surgery – Off-pump (LIMA RIMA Y)
- CABG with Endarterectomy
- Combined Surgery (CABG + Valve Surgery)
- Aortic Surgery (Aortic Aneurysm, Aortic Dissection)
- REDO Surgery (2nd time CABG, Valve Replacement Surgery)
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Surgery for Heart Failure
- Surgery for Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Ventricular Assist Devices
- Jan 2013 – Sr. Consultant Cardiac Surgeon,Medica Superspecialty Hospital
- April 2001 – Dec 2012 – Vice President, NarayanaHrudyalaya group of Hospitals
- April 1996 – May 2001 – Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, Peerless Hospital, Kolkata