Worried about Piles? Know Everything Here
Piles are enlarged and bulging blood vessels. Also termed hemorrhoids, they develop in and around the anus. Piles infect the lower rectal area. They can develop both inside and outside the anus.
Internal hemorrhoids are piles within the anus. External hemorrhoids are piles in the lower rectum. Piles are categorized into four types based on their severity:
- First degree with only bleeding and no prolapse
- Second degree with prolapse but reduced spontaneously
- Third-degree with prolapse and need for manual reduction
- Fourth degree with permanent prolapse.
The blood vessels around the lower rectum or anus become severely strained. It is when piles occur. Various harmless habits can result in piles. These can be an unhealthy diet or sitting for a long time. Conditions that further increase the risk of pile formation can be:
- Heavy weightlifting
- Anal intercourse
- Sitting on lavatory for a long time
Symptoms of Piles
Piles vary based on their type and occurrence. Some of the common symptoms are:
- Tender lumps around the anus
- Anal itching
- Anal pain
- Rectal bleeding in case of internal piles
- Piles prolapsing from the anus
Treatment for piles based on their severity. Some major treatment options are:
- Home-based treatments are for mild symptoms. These include staying hydrated, fiber-rich foods, and avoiding strain bowels.
- Medications include over-the-counter pain relief and stool softeners.
- Consult a doctor if the pain persists
- Quick treatment options are medicines, ointments, and suppositories.
- Surgery is advised for larger and serious hemorrhoids.
Laser Hemorrhoid Surgery
Laser treatment is an out-patient and less-invasive laparoscopic procedure. The treatment follows a fine laser beam for removing the tissue.
The surrounding healthy tissues remain unaffected. People prefer laser treatment for piles for various benefits. Laser piles surgery is a preferred treatment option for acute symptoms.
Conventional surgeries are with several disadvantages. These include time to heal and post-surgical pain. The recovery period is longer. There are also post-surgical complications.
Advantages of Laser Piles Surgery
There are several advantages of laser piles surgery. Some of these advantages are:
- Less Pain: Pain is a common aspect of surgeries. However, laser treatment is a painless and easy treatment method. Laser cutting involves beams. When compared, open surgery uses the scalpel that causes incisions. Pain is very less when compared to conventional surgeries.
A majority of patients do not experience any pain during laser piles surgery. During surgery, anesthesia eventually wears off which results in patients feeling pain. However, pain is significantly less in laser surgery. Seek consultation from qualified and experienced doctors.
- Safer Option: Conventional surgeries are often marred with complicated procedures. When compared, laser piles surgery is a much safer, quick, and effective surgical option for removing piles. The procedure does not require using any smoke, sparks, or steam in the treatment process. As such, this treatment option is much safer than conventional surgeries.
- Minimal bleeding: Unlike open surgeries, blood loss in laparoscopic surgery is much less. Therefore, fear of infection or blood loss during the treatment is unnecessary. Laser beams cut the piles and partially seal the blood tissue. This means bare minimum blood loss. The sealing further reduces any chance of infection. There is no harm to the tissue. The cut is safe and treatment is safer.
- Rapid treatment: The laser pile surgery is quickly done. This is why it is a desirable treatment option. The treatment duration is extremely low. The time taken for surgery can be as low as 30 mins. It can also take 1-2 hours if the piles are higher in number. Surgery time is very less compared to traditional surgeries. Patients can go home once the surgery is completed. Overnight stay is generally not required. As such, laparoscopic surgery is a flexible option. One can resume normal activities soon after surgery.
- Quick discharge: The discharge option is also quick like the rapid treatment. Laser piles surgery is non-invasive. As such, there is no need for overnight stays. Patients can leave the very same day post-surgery. One can resume normal activities afterward.
- Quick Healing: The healing after laparoscopic surgery is very quick. The healing starts as soon as the surgery is complete. Blood loss is less meaning a low chance of infection. The healing becomes quick. The overall recovery time reduces. Patients can return to their normal lives within a few days. Compared to traditional open surgery, healing is much faster.
- Simple Procedure: Performing laser piles surgery is easy. A surgeon has control when compared to open surgery. Much of the surgery is technical. On the other hand, open surgeries are highly manual, increasing risks. The rate of success is much higher for laser piles surgery.
- Follow-up: The follow-up visits post laser surgery are fewer. In open surgery, the risks of cuts opening or wounds are higher. These issues are absent in laser surgery. Follow-up visits are, therefore, rare.
- Recurrence: Piles recurring after laser surgery is rare. There are no external cuts or infections. Therefore, the risk of piles recurring is low.
Post-surgical infections: Post-surgical infections are minimal. There are no cuts, external or internal wounds. The incision is invasive and through a laser beam. As such, no post-surgical infections occur.
Disadvantages of Later Piles Surgery
No surgery is free from drawbacks. Laser pile surgery has some drawbacks. These are:
- Expensive equipment: Laser piles surgery requires high-quality and advanced equipment. Only a few hospitals have this facility. Finding reliable and affordable laser surgery options is often difficult.
- Machine catching fire: There are rare incidents where the equipment catches fire. It is due to defects and malfunctioning. Improper equipment handling also results in malfunction. Inexperienced surgeons may not handle the equipment well, causing problems. Prior information on hospital quality and credibility is critical.
- Training: Surgeons performing the surgery must have required training. Untrained surgeons can cause complications. Patients must check the credibility and experience of the surgeon.
- Spare Laser: Laser beams for treating diseases are difficult. The laser fiber is only available for limited cases. As such, extra laser fiber is essential during surgery.
- Treatment costs: The treatment costs are higher when compared to open surgery. However, hospitals provide insurance and other financial facilities.
- Uncontrollable bleeding: Laser surgery can cause uncontrolled bleeding in rare cases. Healthy tissues can get affected. It can cause significant damage.
- Fibrosis: Laser beams can cause tissue fibrosis. It can result in tissue fissures in the future. It is a secondary complication in laser piles surgery.
- Anesthesia: The effect of anesthesia reduces during surgery. It can create complications once the patient wakes while in surgery.
When To See a Doctor
Consult a doctor if you are bleeding while passing stool. If home remedies fail even after a week, seek immediate medical attention.
Rectal bleeding might occur due to various reasons. Therefore, it is essential to have proper screening and diagnosis. Look for signs such as changes in consistency or color.
Seek immediate care in case of significant rectal bleeding. Other emergency symptoms include fainting or dizziness.
Preventing piles is extremely easy. However, we ignore these habits resulting in piles. We need to keep our stools soft for easy passing. Prevention strategies for keeping them away are:
- Eat high-fiber foods such as whole grains, vegetables, and fruits
- Drink fluids, water, and juices
- Considering fiber supplements
- Avoid straining when passing stool
- Do not avoid the urge
- Exercise and stay active
- Avoid long sitting periods
Consult a proctologist in case of severe piles issues. Notice symptoms like burning sensation, itching, or strains in bowel movements. Do not ignore chronic constipation symptoms. In case of any of the above symptoms, visit the hospital immediately. Remember that not every issue needs laser piles surgery. Talk to a proctologist or general physician now.