Consult Our Experts
Ensuring Fitness through a Healthy Diet
It is often stated, “We are what we eat”. In reality it is a part of a bigger statement. In short, “Good nutrition starts from the womb”. In other words, “we are what we eat, what our mothers ate and what their mothers ate!” A cornerstone for healthy living is a correct diet. A correct diet does not necessarily mean dieting. It means healthy eating. To eat is a necessity but to eat intelligently is an art.
We the Nutrition and Dietetics team at Medica are here to show you just how to do it. Before we take you through our specialties, it is important to clarify some myths about diet control.
- Diet Control means dieting. It is a monotonous, dull regime listed by dieticians
- Diet control is usually recommended for the elderly and the sick
- Diet control is basically staying hungry
- Diet cannot work wonders, nor will it cure a disease
- Why take the trouble? My genes will determine my fate, not what I eat.
- What will happen, will happen anyway
- Diet control means controlling your intake in a healthy way without depriving yourself of all the food you like. It can be made very interesting.
- It is required for all, including children
- Starving yourself is not advocated
- Go for neither fasting nor feasting
- Diet can help prevent a disease or check its progression. Without it, the skills of a physician are wasted.
- Your destiny is in your hands, not just your genes energy, fat, and essential fatty acids
Our Target Areas
- Obesity with or without underlying disease
- Chronic diseases leading to malnutrition
- Metabolic diseases
- Lifestyle disorders
- Eating disorders
- Eating problems due to allergies, surgery, and so on
- Paediatric and geriatric nutrition
- Nutrition for special cases (PKU, CF, etc.)
- Normal individuals pre-disposed to lifestyle diseases
- Individualized diet counselling
- Rational approach
- Patient education
- Permanent dietary modification
Eat a little bit of everything but too much of nothing. Go for a balanced diet.
A balanced diet is one that consists of all kinds of foods in the correct amounts. Each day, our diet should comprise foods taken from all the food groups.
Tips on Staying Healthy
- Healthy eating habits should be developed right from childhood
- Always go for fresh, seasonal food items
- Wash the vegetables before cutting them
- Take foods closest to their natural state
- Choose your menu from a wide variety of foods
- Avoid heavily processed, salted, and ready-to-eat foods
- Do not use re-heated oil after cooking or frying
- Garnish your dishes with spices and herbs instead of synthetic products
- Keep away from the white poisons like sugar and salt
- Drink water at least 30 minutes before or after but not with your meals
You can do more for your health than any doctor, medicine, or healthcare worker.